CoPilot Live Premium FAQ
- Which phones and devices does CoPilot Live work with? CoPilot Live is compatible with a wide range of Android and iOS devices. Please check our compatibility list for the most up to date information about specific models and devices. CoPilot Live is not currently compatible with Windows Phones, Symbian devices or BlackBerry
- Does CoPilot Live work on Windows Phone 7/Symbian/Nokia devices? No, not currently. CoPilot Live is compatible with a wide range of Android and iOS devices. Please check our compatibility list for the most up to date information about specific models and devices.
- Does CoPilot Live work with iPod touch? CoPilot Live for iPhone is compatible with 3rd generation iPod touch or later with OS 4.3 or later but ONLY with a compatible GPS accessory. Compatible accessories currently include: TomTom Car Kit for iPod touch.
- Does CoPilot Live work with iPad and iPad 2? CoPilot Live is only fully compatible with 3G models of iPad and iPad 2. It can run on Wi-Fi iPads however these devices do not have a GPS receiver, so you will need to purchase an external bluetooth GPS receiver in order to use turn-by-turn guidance.
- Is CoPilot Live a one-off payment or paid monthly or annually? Unless otherwise indicated, CoPilot Live apps provide unlimited use for a one-off payment. In some regions, additional subscription-based services such as ActiveTraffic are also available as an upgrade purchase.
- Does CoPilot Live download maps each trip? CoPilot Live app and maps are stored 'onboard' the mobile device, not downloaded each trip.
- Does CoPilot Live use the mobile internet for navigation? CoPilot Live uses the GPS (Global Positioning System) satellites to obtain a precise location on the map. Once you have the map stored on your phone, CoPilot Live does not then need a mobile internet connection for navigation. CoPilot Live can however use the mobile internet to obtain useful real-time information such as Google Local Search, Weather information as well as to access online user guides. You can switch-off data roaming on your phone to use CoPilot Live in 'offline' mode. Use of the mobile internet may help CoPilot Live get a GPS 'fix' when first used abroad but data roaming can then be switched off on the device.
- Can I install CoPilot Live on more than one device? You are only permitted to install CoPilot Live on one device at a time (as detailed in the End User Licensing Agreement). You will need to purchase an additional copy of CoPilot Live if you wish to run it on more than one device at the same time.
- How can I buy CoPilot Live for Android? The recommended way to buy CoPilot Live for Android is usually through Google Play (Android Market). Alternatively you can buy CoPilot Live from our online store at www.copilotlive.com.
- How can I buy CoPilot Live for iPhone or iPad? The only way to buy CoPilot Live for iPhone or iPad is through the iTunes App Store.
- How can I buy CoPilot Live for Windows Mobile and Windows Phone devices? CoPilot Live is not available for Windows Phones. However you can buy CoPilot Live v8 for Windows Mobile 5 and 6x touch-screen devices from our online store at www.copilotlive.com/uk/store/. CoPilot Live is not compatible with Windows Phone 7.
- What methods of payment are available at the CoPilot Live online store? The CoPilot Live online store accepts Maestro, MasterCard, Visa Credit and Visa Debit cards.
- How much memory do I need to store CoPilot Live's maps? CoPilot Live's maps are stored in your mobile device's internal memory or on a memory card. You will also need sufficient storage space to install and run the application. The amount of space needed varies depending on the map region you are buying, but typically: a single European Country or region requires between 300 - 500MB, complete European maps require 2GB and all of North America (Canada + USA) requires 1.5GB
- Which map regions are available with CoPilot Live? Please check our map coverage page for full details about CoPilot Live geographical coverage.
- I receive an error message when trying to install/sync CoPilot to my iPhone that there is not enough free space CoPilot Live requires at least double the space to extract to the device during the installation process. This space will be freed once the installation is finished. Please temporarily free some memory so that CoPilot may install.
- When purchasing CoPilot Live on Android Play I get "Authorising Credit Card" The credit card authorisation error message may occasionally occur when Google's Authorisation servers are not responding or when they are performing maintenance. This is a documented Google Play (Android Market) problem, and Google suggest trying again in the next 24 hours to complete your purchase. Customers who have experienced this issue will not be charged for the first purchase.
- Can I upgrade to CoPilot Live from a previous version? CoPilot Live is a completely new version of our software and requires a new purchase. We would love to allow existing customers to purchase the app at a reduced price, however currently the Apple App Store and Google Play (Android Market) do not support the ability to provide a discount to existing customers. CoPilot Live is available to purchase for iPhone and iPad on the App Store and for Android on Google Play (Android Market) or www.copilotlive.com.
- Can I transfer my CoPilot Live Android map upgrades to CoPilot Live? CoPilot Live map upgrades are valid for a specific version of CoPilot Live only. They cannot be transferred from a previous version to CoPilot Live Premium.
- I'm going to buy another device soon, can I move my CoPilot Live to another device? Yes, you can move CoPilot Live between devices with the same mobile operating system, e.g. from one Android phone to another Android phone or from one iPhone to another iPhone.
Android: to move CoPilot Live from one Android device to another, you must first deactivate CoPilot Live from the first device by selecting Menu > MyCoPilot > My Account > Change Device. You can then re-install CoPilot Live on the different phone.
iPhone/iPad: simply delete CoPilot Live from the original device and reinstall from iTunes on the other iPhone or iPad"
- I cannot get a GPS fix whilst in another country. What can I do? This may be because you have disabled data roaming on your device. You may need to briefly enable data roaming to get a GPS fix. Please check your mobile device settings and ensure that data roaming is switched-on. You should be able to switch-off data roaming once you have a GPS fix.
- How do I plan a trip in CoPilot Live? The easiest way to enter a single destination is by selecting Main Menu > Go To. You can also plan a trip with multiple stops. To do this select Main Menu > Route > Plan or Edit Trip.
- Can I receive voice instructions further away from the turn in CoPilot Live? Yes, you can adjust how close to a turn you receive a turn instruction in CoPilot Live by selecting Main Menu > Settings > Guidance.
- How can I buy ActiveTraffic? The CoPilot Live ActiveTraffic service requires an additional subscription which can be purchased from within the app. Select Main Menu > MyCoPilot > Features and Upgrades > ActiveTraffic.
- How can I customise CoPilot's routing? There are a number of ways you can adjust CoPilot Live's routing to suit your preferences. You can create fully personalised route settings based on road type and speeds by selecting Main Menu > Route > Vehicle Preferences > Car. Then press the 'Custom Road Speeds' button at the bottom of the screen. You can then choose to avoid or specific types of roads and also set the speed that you would usually travel at.
- How can I report a missing street or map error? CoPilot incorporates maps from the world's leading providers of digital maps for Satellite Navigation Systems. We do use the most current version of the maps that we can, taking into account the time it takes to test the maps and release to market. However you may find that very new road systems are not contained within the data and can take upwards of a year before they reach each satellite navigation product.
- How often do you update the maps in CoPilot Live? Map updates are usually made available approximately every 18 months along with new software versions.
- Can I get CoPilot Live audio to play through my Bluetooth Headset? CoPilot Live does support many popular models of Bluetooth headsets and speaker phones. If your headset fully supports the A2DP protocol and the Bluetooth Audio Gateway then CoPilot Live should work with it.
- Can I download updated Safety Cameras? If your version of CoPilot Live includes safety cameras as standard then database updates will be made available from within the app approximately every 2 weeks or less.
- Which countries are safety camera alerts available in CoPilot Live? Safety cameras are currently only available in Europe and Australasia.
- Can I use LiveLink location sharing in CoPilot Live? The LiveLink location sharing service is not available in CoPilot Live Premium. However, based on customer feedback, we are developing a variety of ways to enable customers to share their journeys with friends, including via their preferred social networks.
- ClearTurn and Lane Assist arrows are not displayed, what can I do? ClearTurn reality view and lane assist arrows are displayed in CoPilot Live at many major junctions and intersections. To make sure this feature is enabled, select Main Menu > Settings > Guidance and ensure the Show ClearTurn box is checked.
- Speed limits are not displayed, what can I do? Speed limits for most main roads can be displayed on-screen in CoPilot Live. To make sure this feature is enabled, select Main Menu > Settings > Speed Limit and ensure the Show Speed Limit box is checked.
- Estimated Time of Arrivals (ETAs) are inaccurate. Why is this? An Estimated Time of Arrival (ETA) is based on a number of factors including the road speeds, the roads you are driving and the routing profile you have configured. Standard ETAs do not take into account traffic or delays. However, our ActiveTraffic feature (available as a premium purchase), takes into account real-time traffic speeds along your route to provide the most accurate ETAs.
- Does the CoPilot Live iPhone app work on the iPad? Yes, the standard CoPilot Live iPhone apps do run on iPad. However they do not include the high-resolution graphics and split screen views available with CoPilot Live Premium HD.
- Does the CoPilot Live Premium HD iPad app work on the iPhone? Yes.
- Can I download additional or custom Points of Interest for CoPilot Live? No, it is not possible to download or import custom Points of Interest into CoPilot Live apps for iPhone/iPad.
- My screen sometimes dims when using a speaker accessory. What can I do? When the iPhone/iPad is connected to certain car kits, headsets or speakers the accessory may take control over screen dimming. Unfortunately at this time we are unable to prevent the screen dimming.
- I receive an error message when trying to install/sync CoPilot to my that there is not enough free space. What can I do? CoPilot Live requires at least double the space to extract to the device during the installation process. This space will be freed once the installation is finished. Please temporarily free some memory so that CoPilot may install.
- How can I buy Text-to-Speech voices (TTS)? Text-to-Speech (TTS) voices are included as standard with some versions of CoPilot Live. To check whether your version includes TTS, or to purchase an upgrade to TTS from in-app, go to My CoPilot > Features and Upgrades.
- I've purchased Text-to-Speech (TTS), but it won't work in CoPilot on my iPhone? Firstly please make sure that you have selected Text-to-Speech correctly in CoPilot Live: Go to Main Menu > Settings > Language and Voice Choose the Text-to-Speech voice (TTS voices have an * next to them) Exit and restart CoPilot Live
- Why do I have to download maps for CoPilot Live Premium Europe via WiFi? The latest updated maps of Europe now exceed 2GB in size, which is larger than Apples 2GB limit for iOS apps.
- Can I download maps for CoPilot Live Premium Europe via 3G? Yes you can download maps via 3G. However we strongly advise that you download maps via WiFi. It is much quicker and avoids the possibility of additional charges from your mobile provider.
1) You can save storage space on your device by downloading just the maps you need - for example France, Italy and UK+Ireland
2) You can add or remove map regions from your device as you need. So if you are going to Stockholm for the weekend you can download Nordics before you go, and delete it again when you come back
3) You will be able to download app updates much more easily in future. The app itself is only about 20MB, so you won't need to download the maps every time we make an app update
- How do I download maps to my Android phone/Tablet?
- Connect your device to Wi-Fi
- Then from within the CoPilot Live main menu, select MyCoPilot > My Maps
- Choose the map area you wish to download
- You can download just the map area you need or an entire region depending on what map regions you are licensed for
- You can return and download additional maps at a later time as required
- CoPilot Live cannot get a GPS fix or is always saying 'Determining Current Position'. What can I do? CoPilot Live accesses GPS satellites to pinpoint your location precisely on the map using your device's GPS receiver (or an external GPS receiver). It may take more than five minutes for your device or GPS receiver to locate enough satellites to acquire an accurate GPS position or 'fix'. Here's some tips to optimise GPS performance:
- To get a GPS fix, your mobile device needs a clear line of sight to the sky.
- You will not usually be able to obtain a GPS fix when inside a building or in a tunnel.
- We recommend that you secure your mobile device in-car with a windscreen mount.
- Make sure that the time and date are set correctly on your mobile device.
- Make sure that your device's GPS receiver is switched-on.
- Make sure that your mobile device has sufficient battery power. If your battery is running low the GPS receiver may be turned-off on some mobile devices.
- If you are still unable to get a GPS fix after 10 minutes, your mobile device's GPS receiver may not be working correctly. Please turn-off your device and switch it back on again.
- If your vehicle is equipped with a metallic windscreen it may severely impair GPS reception. You may need an external GPS receiver in order to obtain a GPS fix.
- How do I transfer my CoPilot Live app to a different Android device? You can transfer your CoPilot Live from one Android device to another Android device, for example if you get a new phone.
- What will happen when I install a newer version of the Android operating system? Will CoPilot Live still work? Yes, you will be able to use CoPilot Live after installing an officially released version of the Android operating system. Please be aware that it may occasionally take us a few weeks to fully support new versions of Android, and there may be occasions where a current version of CoPilot Live will not work with the latest version of the Android OS for a period of time. We cannot guarantee support for unofficially downloaded OS updates.
- When purchasing CoPilot Live on Google Play (Android Market) I get an "Authorising Credit Card" message, what does this mean? The credit card authorisation error message may occasionally occur when Google's Authorisation servers are not responding or when they are performing maintenance. This is a documented Google Play (Android Market) problem, and Google suggests trying again in the next 24 hours to complete your purchase. Customers who have experienced this issue will not be charged for the first purchase.
- Can I use the Android Operating System Text-to-Speech engine with CoPilot Live? On most Android devices (platform 1.6 and above), TTS is a free feature within the operating system itself*. Simply switch on TTS on your device as follows: go to Settings > Speech Synthesis. Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Text-to-Speech options. The Android Text-to-speech voice will now be used as standard when you use CoPilot. *Not all android phones support Text-to-Speech. Check your phone's manual or manufacturer specifications for more information.
If you purchased CoPilot Live from CoPilot Live Webstore, go to Menu > My CoPilot > My Account > Change Device.
If you purchased CoPilot Live from Google Play (Android Market), it should automatically work on your new device.
If you purchased CoPilot Live from Google Play (Android Market), it should automatically continue to work after you have updated the operating system.
- What happens if I already have an ActiveTraffic subscription? If you already have an ActiveTraffic subscription we'll add an extra 12 months to your existing subscription for FREE.
- Is ActiveTraffic available in my country? ActiveTraffic coverage details are available on the Map Coverage page
- Why did I not receive my gift of 12 months free ActiveTraffic? The 12 months of free ActiveTraffic is only available for CoPilot Live Premium customers. It is not available for CoPilot GPS customers. If you are a CoPilot Live Premium customer and did not receive your 12 months of free ActiveTraffic, please contact Support with the CoPilot ID you used to activate your CoPilot.
- I have a CoPilot Live v8 ActiveTraffic subscription that I transferred to Premium. Will I receive the 12 months of free ActiveTraffic? Yes you will.
- I have CoPilot Live Premium for Android, will I also receive the 12 months free ActiveTraffic? Yes, all Premium customers for iPhone, iPad and Android Smartphones & Tablets will receive 12 months of free ActiveTraffic.
- What happens if I move to another phone at a later date, will the 12 months free ActiveTraffic be carried over to the new phone? Yes it will. You will need to perform a restore of your in-app purchases on iOS or Android and it will restore your ActiveTraffic subscription.
- What will happen at the end of my 12 months free ActiveTraffic subscription? After 12 months, your free ActiveTraffic subscription will expire. To continue using ActiveTraffic with your CoPilot, you will need to purchase an additional 12 month subscription via in-app purchase.
- I just purchased a 12 month ActiveTraffic subscription prior to the announcement of the free 12 months subscription. Is it possible to get a refund for the initial subscription purchase? Based on the current terms and conditions of Apple and Google, it is not possible to refund you for the initial subscription.
- Can I gift the 12 months of free ActiveTraffic to a friend? No, it is not possible as the 12 months is already assigned to your CoPilot ID.